Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Saturday, September 27, 2003

So I'm being stalked by an almost-90-year old. Ok, perhaps not really, but the story is much funnier that way. It goes like this: My Grandfather is a statistician, and went to UNC-Chapel Hill with this guy named Abbott Ferriss. Abbott is now an emeritus professor at Emory, so when Grandad found out that I was going to school here, he wrote to Abbott. A couple of weeks ago Abbott took me out to lunch, and he's really nice and it was cool to meet an old friend of my Grandfather's. About a week ago he invited me to a gallery opening, which would have been cool, but it was kind of far away and on a Friday night and I just didn't really feel like going. So I thanked him appropriately, made some excuse, and asked that he please think of me next time something like this came up. So last night I'm checking my e-mail and I have a message from him saying I should call and let him know if I can go to the dragon boat races with him the next morning. I'm thinking this would be cool, but I really need more than half a day's notice, and I'm planning on being out all night for Ryan's birthday and I'm sick and I was really just going to sleep all day Saturday...and I'm trying to figure out what to do when Abbott knocks on my door! He showed up at my house! So I agreed to go see the dragon boat races with him. Went to Ryan's birthday party, actually managed to not drink too too much, and came home around 2 am. Abbott said he'd pick me up at 8:30 am. So I'm a little drunk and moderately sick with this head cold, trying to get a few hours of sleep, went completely insane around 4:30 am, but managed to be human by the time Abbott arrived this morning. And in the end, it was a really nice morning, watching the races, hanging out with Abbott. But now I'm bone tired and pretty much worthless. And worrying that Abbott seems kind of lonely and if I become his new buddy to call every week, it's going to be a problem. Because our little outing this morning took about 6 hours, and the days when I'm going to have 6 free hours are becoming few and far between. So that's my story about the nice old man who's sort of stalking me. Now it's time to desperately force myself to do just an ounce more homework before my hot date with my favorite sweat pants, the couch, some cheesy movies, and lots and lots of tea and honey. I can't wait.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home