Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Sunday, November 09, 2003

So I've managed to get lots of tedious little chores done this afternoon, while procrastinating homework. Even balanced my checkbook (found that missing $50 which resulted in a bounced check last week. Doh!). And almost settled on a schedule for next semester. Three biostat. courses, and two electives (health care policy/management and international health). Then skipped over to the undergraduate arts and sciences courses and found an english class on literature and culture which features a screening of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and the first two Terminators. E-mailed the prof. to see if I could sit in from time to time. I think attending an english class could go far towards keeping my sanity. Also found a philosphy class on the intro. to logic. I've always regretting not taking logic, and I definitely think it would round out my background nicely...but fear adding it to my schedule might be a bit over-ambitious. Played around with my remaining requirements and it looks like I might actually be able to finish up my coursework in two years, which is tremendously cool. Obviously, lots could change in the next three semesters, and a lot of it hinges on what my department decides to offer, but it looks like even worst-case scenario I could pick up one last elective while working on my thesis. So...with a little luck, can pick a topic next year and start working on it the following summer. I'm not in a huge rush to get out of here, but I keep hearing stories of never-ending research projects and I'd really rather avoid the 6+ year plan. In other news, I got a job! I'll be working 5-10 hours a week at the consulting center in our department. That paycheck should cover any leisure activities nicely. Currently, the stipend is covering the necessities without much trouble, but everytime I buy a little extra beer for a party or something I think, that means come end of the month I might have to eat more peanut butter sandwiches and mac-n-cheese. So it'll be nice not to have to make quite such a strict trade-off between fun and food. Not to mention tucking a little away each month for things like xmas presents and plane tickets. Anyway, enough about money. I'd better go start on my cooking for the week, I think the body is indicating that my caffine-to-calories ratio has gotten a little out of whack...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home