Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Monday, December 01, 2003

...

When these sorts of things happen I never can decide whether I want to cry or rant first. This Thursday I'm flying to Boston to attend a memorial service for my Aunt's partner (I hate that word almost as much as girlfriend...can they just be wives already?). They've been in a loving, monogamous relationship for as long as my parents, and have been doing a brilliant job raising a lovely little boy. They're a family, just like anyone else. If someone said this to him...well, it would probably be a good thing that I live several states away. How can people who claim to be espousing family values do this to a child? (from Lafayette, LA):

"I was concerned when the assistant principal called and told me my son had said a word so bad that he didn't want to repeat it over the phone," Huff said. "But that was nothing compared to the shock I felt when my little boy came home and told me that his teacher had told him his family is a dirty word."

I know I'm preaching to the choir here...I just hate feeling so goddamned helpless

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home