Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Saturday, March 03, 2007



Vacation does a body good (or why I have to periodically get the eff out of here)

So I snuck off to the beach for a couple of days. Corrine's in-laws had a time-share for the week in Panama City, FL and poor Mike was off at job interviews, so his loss was my gain when C invited me to come along instead! Preparing for departure is always stressful (hi, 6 am freak-out regarding poster prep for next weekend) but being gone is always nice. We drove down Wednesday afternoon, braved the stormy weather Thursday, and were rewarded with general gorgeousness Friday prior to our evening departure.


In other news, I whined to the parents about my dead laptop, and like the lovely parental units that they are, they insisted on sending a check. So my current choices (based primarily on CNET reviews) are: HP Compaq Presario V3000t, HP Pavilion dv2000t, Dell Inspiron E1405 or 1505. Thoughts?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what your budget or desired feature set is, but I'd look at the Dells.

I spec-ed out a HP v3000t, HP dv2000t, Dell E1405, and Dell 1505 with a standard hardware setup, and I think the Dell 1505 is the best buy.

I was going for vista home premium, an OK cpu (core duo t2250 or equivalent), minimal video (onboard intel 950), 1 gb of ram, 60 gb harddrive, and a decent dvd burner.

The HP dv2000t came out at $939, and the HP v3000t came out at $804. The Dell E1405 came out at $918, and the Dell 1505 came out at $828, BUT they both had 120gb hard drives rather than 60gb thanks to a current sale. The Dells also seem to have a better upgrade path if you are looking to spend more.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Wow, that's excellent information, Tom! Thanks!

Those specs actually line up pretty closely with what I'm looking for, but right now the HPs are coming out ahead of the Dells for weight and battery life. CNET reviewed an HP dv5000 which sounded damn near perfect, but apparently doesn't exist anymore!

4:24 PM  
Blogger Cor said...

Ah, it was lovely wasn't it? I'm so glad you were able to come!

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, would go with the dell.

~S

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home