Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

We interrupt this USSF re-cap for an ethical dilemma:

At one of my (many) part-time jobs, I just sort of unintentionally lobbied for higher pay. My boss mentioned that due to some recent expenses we would all be taking a modest pay cut, to which I replied that that was perfectly understandable and not a problem for me, for now (this is not my primary bill-paying income), but that given my other commitments and generally hectic lifestyle, in a few months when I start to get even busier I would have to take this into account and figure out whether this particular job was still a cost-effective decision for me. Typing that out, I realize that sounds sort of like a threat, but I honestly did not intend it to be so (and in fact worded things differently in my original reply). I was just trying to provide a reasonable heads up that in a few months there was the possibility that I would give my notice. So the boss wrote back and said if I could make a commitment for x number of months I could maintain my old pay scale. Which is great, for me, but makes me feel guilty about my coworkers. Do I owe it to them to say thanks but no thanks and volunteer for the pay cut? Should I assume that they're all grown-ups and will negotiate or not for a higher salary as they feel comfortable?

1 Comments:

Blogger Sid said...

Assume everyone is a grown up. If its an issue, they can raise the same concerns you did. If not, then there's no problem.

It's all copacetic, hon.

1:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home