Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Monday, July 23, 2007

You've got to be fucking kidding me

Oh wait, for a second there I forgot that we still live in a world that hates women. Ms. Robin Givhan's latest brilliant fashion piece not only analyzes Senator Hillary Clinton's wardrobe (always a worthy topic when discussing a serious politician. I mean, I just can't remember the number of times I have guffawed my way through a 'news' piece about Senator Biden's choice of tie color or Senator Byrd's wacky pleated pants!) but goes so far as to discuss her anatomy. Cleavage, to be precise. I can't bring myself to reprint the offensive lines (of which there are many) but click through and try to keep your head from asploding. If your frontal lobe is still in tact after, consider writing a letter to Ms. Givhan herself, or the Washington Post editors (who no doubt had a jolly laugh over the Senator Hillary Clinton's Cleavage! story pitch).

In related you've-come-a-long-way-baby news, the article mentions that women weren't "allowed" to wear pants on the US Senate floor until the 1990s (?!?!?!?). I found this referenced a few other places, but can't actually locate any specific Congressional dress codes. I did, however, find this Salon article mentioning the current Bush Whitehouse's brief attempt to reinstate his daddy's dress code, requiring women to wear "...knee-length skirts and stockings in the West Wing."

They can't really seem to do anything well (homeland security? war? civil rights? the economy? healthcare?) but thank goodness this administration is trying to protect us from women in pantsuits! I mean, if we let them wear the same clothes as men, they may get crazy ideas about being equal to men!

2 Comments:

Blogger BOLDgirl said...

But I've seen Laura Bush don many a pantsuit!

12:10 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

It was a brief attempt - apparently "Bush press secretary Ari Fleischer eventually declared that 'the [women's] pantsuits can stay,'"

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home