Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Friday, June 25, 2010

Vaccinate!

Peers, get your DTaP vaccine (that's diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis - aka whooping cough). Most of us were vaccinated as children, but our immune response wanes as we grow up, and whooping cough in particular has a tendency to crop up (like right now, in CA).

Although I was never diagnosed, I'm fairly certain I had whooping cough in college. Case friends - remember that time my junior year when I was sick for like a month? And had that hacking cough that you could hear across an entire apartment? Whoop whoop.

My brother caught whooping cough from our cousin a few years ago. The cousin was exposed to an un-vaccinated schoolmate and then proceeded to expose the entire family one Thanksgiving. In healthy young people, it's just a bad cold. But let's all be responsible citizens and contribute to herd immunity for the young, old, and unhealthy among us, mmmkay?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home