Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Sunday, November 09, 2003

What with the resurgence of Jessica Lynch stories and interviews, I thought I'd float a question I've been pondering for a few days - all the most recent publicity mentions Lynch's rescue as the moment that gave Americans hope. And while a courageous rescue, bringing home an injured soldier, is always a joyous occurrence, I remember being surprised hearing it referred to as a moment of greatest hope. Maybe it's just me, but I remember very clearly seeing the first pictures of Lynch on the news, and it bringing home how horrific the war was, and frightened and young she was. Perhaps it's just because I have this trouble imagining anyone being younger than me, but seeing that child's face...I thought, people younger than I shouldn't fight wars. I realize this is a fairly irrational...unrealistic thought. It's horrible when anyone is injured or killed, and trying to make the statement that it's somehow worse when they're young is as unfair as saying it's worse when they're female...I just can't help but remember what a searing impression those pictures made on me...and it certainly wasn't one of hope. Am I the only one? Was this the return of hope for others?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home