Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Mark (and other misc.)

So I got to talk to Mark on the phone yesterday, which was terribly exciting. It's the first time I've actually gotten to hear his voice since he left for Moscow back in Sept. (FYI - he'll be back in the states in May) He seems to be doing pretty well, though is a bit lonely right now as it's between semesters and most students have gone home. He's going to sit in on a class this semester taught by some famous guy (who's name and what class I forget) but I think it's funny that Mark described that he's famous because he has a constant named after him. Which is pretty awesome, yet also very dorky.

Not much other news from my end. Just felt like I've been posting a lot about articles and events and less about what's happening in my life, about which, presumably, my friends might care. Classes are going pretty well so far, though I'm having that usual beginning of semester lack of motivation. I'll get back into the swing of things soon enough. Two of my professors are distractingly attractive. We'll see if that's a good thing (keeps me awake during boring lectures) or not (see "distracting" above). Went to see RotK (again) by myself last week. First time I've been to a movie by myself since moving here and it was really nice. Also, RotK was much better upon a second viewing (as expected). Was in a funk Friday night and so just rented movies and curled up in bed. Alas, neither movie was very good. Underworld would be better if it were about 30 minutes shorter. Once Upon a Time in Mexico needed more Jonny Depp being completely absurd and less convoluted attempts at plot twists. But it did include my newest favorite quote, "I'm going to rip off that eye patch and skull-fuck you to death!"

Had the same sort of conversation I usually do with my brother last night. Meaning he talked a lot and I said "yeah" occasionally. Which sounds mean, but his phone calls just seem so tedious sometimes. I know he likes to call and "catch up" and see how I'm doing and whatnot, which is a nice brotherly thing to do.../sigh. I dunno. I just got to thinking last night about how small town Brad has managed to remain. He's lived in DC for a few years now, and works in politics, yet somehow has managed to avoid becoming "metropolitan." Which, I think, in his line of work, is bad. For example, he was all excited about going to a bar the other night and taking part in the SotU drinking game, and described it as "a totally unique DC experience!" I refrained from bursting his bubble. I guess there's no way to talk about this without sounding like a conceited bitch and ungrateful sister (both of which, I'll admit, I'm guilty from time to time)...it's just that I'm repeatedly struck by the yuppy sorts of things that he always admired when we were younger, yet doesn't seem to have figured out yet. Like knowing about wine or theater or just random cultural things. I sometimes wonder/worry what his coworkers think, but he seems to get along ok, so I guess it isn't really my job to worry...blah. the usual stream of consciousness crap that's always floating around when I start thinking about my relationship with my brother. I'll stop now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home