Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

I swear this blog isn't going to become all bowling all the time, but the pictures are quick and easy to post, and that's about all I've had time for lately. At least I'm finally healthy again (as I jinx myself just before leaving for the latest gymnastics session and more grubby 3 and 4 year olds...). Seriously, that head cold I was bitching about a few weeks ago turned into a massive infection and I lost my voice for two days. At which point I decided maybe it would be reasonable to seek medical advice. They scared me with the prospect of mono, but thankfully that test came back negative. Instead I got a few days of antibiotics and steroids. I'm lucky - I have health insurance. Actually, the whole situation was pretty ideal - I waltzed into my student health center around 10am (no appointment), told 'em I was sick, and they worked me in 20 minutes later. I got a full work up and blood tests, plus the meds, right there. And a follow-up appointment for a few days later. Meanwhile, fellow students like AWB are stuck googling their symptoms. How fucked up is that? If we can't figure out how to provide affordable insurance for college and graduate students (a population which should be reasonably cheap and easy to insure) how the hell are we going to take care of poor families?

So I was sick during Ahalya's visit, which sucked, but I guess the bonus of being former roommates is that you've already seen some pretty crappy sides of each other, so curling up on the couch all gross and somewhat miserable is acceptable behavior. Aside from the ickiness, her visit was lovely, and it was nice to once again reminisce about good times at Smith House. Oh, and we went to see a local production of The Importance of Being Earnest, which was quite good (except for Gwendolen) and of course, made me miss Footlighters.

Speaking of which, turns out they've kept (and posted!) some very old pics. EMG and Jared - I know you're out there, did you know about this?

Ok, enough procrastinating. Time to drum up some more publicity for NAPW's upcoming summit. Anyone know any Atlanta area midwives, doulas, reproductive health/social justice types?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home