Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

More Computer Woes

Sigh. Hopefully this is not a sign of things to come. But I had already committed to an HP Compaq when my peanut gallery expressed a preference for Dells (in my defense, CNET rated both my HP choices higher than the Dell options) and already I'm frustrated. 1 - decide on HP Compaq V3000, customize on website, discover that website isn't working properly and cannot place order (hi, you're a computer company, maybe your website should work). Chalk it up as a fluke and call the 800# to order over the phone. 2 - get connected to someone who does not speak adequate English. Have to repeat my street address 4 times before he gets it right. Continue to worry that $1,200 laptop will be lost forever to postal service. 3 - receive e-mail today saying order is being shipped in parts and my carrying case will arrive in two days. Log online to track shipment and discover wrong carrying case. Call 800# again to correct, but will have to return wrong one since it's already en route. 4 - in process of checking order, discover that estimated ship date for laptop is March 14!!!!! Cannot live another 10 days without laptop (it's already been a week). Check Dell, same estimated ship date. Fucking computer companies.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry to much about the Dell VS HP thing.

HP had a bad reputation back in the late 90's early 00's, but everything I've heard in the last few years seems to indicate they are doing much better.

Dell has a solid reputation, but within a year of purchase I've had to fix 4 out of the last 5 Dell's I've bought. The last laptop I got, about 5 months ago, wasn't even put together right. I had to do some reassembly just to get the keyboard working right.

And these are the /better/ vendors out there...

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home