Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Sunday, April 20, 2008

What are S&S discussing in comments?

I've been a bit slow* to get back to this, but a few posts down Sid and Steve are discussing an art project allegedly involving a woman getting pregnant (through artificial insemination), then intentionally causing a miscarriage (through an abortifacient), then repeating the process over and over again. Here's the website Sid originally linked to. And here's the article Steve linked to, indicating that the art project is performance art and that both pregnancy and miscarriage are simulated. Here's the quote from a Yale University official: “The entire project is an art piece, a creative fiction designed to draw attention to the ambiguity surrounding form and function of a woman’s body.” And here is Bitch PhD's initial reaction ("I have to admit, the piece as described makes me uncomfortable. But I'm not sure that that's at all a bad thing. I'd probably give her an A.") and the follow-up once the story broke that no actual pregnancies were happening. Interestingly, there doesn't appear to be much follow-up in terms of whether or not the original author of the Yale newspaper was intentionally misrepresenting the project.

*Honestly, I haven't been working all that hard. I met my self-imposed deadline yesterday to finish editing my slides (even hit my goal of 50 slides!) and so the only thing I'm allowed/supposed to do for the next 4.5 days is practice the actual presentation. Good thing I left myself this much time too - today's practice actually wasn't so bad, for a first run through, but about 30 minutes in I just got really sick of myself and bored. Going to have to work on that a bit...Otherwise I'll just be trying to keep myself occupied and relaxed (currently I've been sitting outside, soaking up our lovely weather, the local 420 fest, and reading my Lonely Planet guide to Dublin - suggestions of other ways to avoid sitting around the house twiddling my thumbs, alternately freaking out about my own performance and worrying about my friend, would be much appreciated!

5 Comments:

Blogger Lydia said...

There's a discussion about this from the perspective of being both infertile and pro-choice here: http://stirrup-queens.blogspot.com/2008/04/no-thesis.html. She verbalized a lot of my own reactions.

6:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unrelated but interesting article I found being discussed at Sadly, No:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/21/AR2008042102406.html?hpid=topnews

-Patrick

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Dial Printer Support said...

Dial Printer Support is an online service provider which provides the best customer service. It resolves the brother laser printer, brother printer and desktop issues. Once you give a call at +1-888-621-0339 the expertise they will get in touch with you to figure the exact problem. Further the team will guide you on the ways to resolve the issue over the phone.
Dial Printer Support

3:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Woah! I’m enjoying the template/theme of this website. It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s very hard to get that “ perfect balance” between superb usability and visual appeal. I must say you’ve done a very good job with this.
Buy Generic Medicine is an online store that offers medicines for customers at an affordable price. For any kind of inconvenience, feel free to talk with us through the mail. The customer support team of Buy Generic Medicin is always ready to help you through any kind of problem. So, buy medicines from Buy Generic Medicin and get a healthy life.
Armodafinil
Armodafinil online
Buy Armodafinil
Buy Armodafinil online
Buy armodafinil 150 mg online

1:15 AM  
Anonymous Ancient Ayurveda said...

Thank you for sharing latest information and keep updating valuable content. well, sharing with you a crucial medication which help to Boost Immunity system and nutrition very important to keep healthy. so you can Best Place to Buy Health & Wellness 100% Ayurvedic Product from online Fast Shipping store in USA - Ancient Ayurveda

8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home