Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Thursday, January 22, 2009

It's blog for choice day!

I have always been pro-choice, with the underlying rhetoric to my choice changing, and (hopefully) becoming more sophisticated as I grow up. But ever since the day that one of my best friends needed a dialation and evacuation procedure to end a failed pregnancy that was endangering her life, I've simply lost the ability to speak calmly or rationally on this topic. Yes, I know this kind of procedure, and the reasons for needing this kind of procedure, make up a tiny minority of all abortions. Yes, I know many anti-abortion laws make allowances for the health of the mother. I don't care. I don't want loop holes for some, access for some. I don't want anyone to have the power to decide who gets the right to choose and who doesn't. Who are you to stand between my friend and her doctor and judge the choices they make and the reasons they make them? What business is it of yours to eavesdrop on that most personal of conversations? Who endowed you with the authority to determine what counts as a good enough reason to make one choice or another? How can you possibly write legislation that affects every woman, and every family, when every woman and every family is so different?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I looked up the laws in Germany, France, and Switzerland, and was surprised to discover the requirements for counseling, waiting periods, and strong limits for abortions in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters. I also discovered that the Nazis thought abortion worthy of the death penalty.
-A

8:27 AM  
Blogger Cor said...

Megan, I heart you.

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home