Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Saturday, March 06, 2010

Books!

Seriously, I haven't mentioned books here since November? WTF?

I did finally finish the Turtledove, and remain thoroughly unimpressed. I won't be bothering with the rest of the series.

I remember that I brought a bunch of books with me to Nepal, but I honestly can't remember what I read while I was there other than the tour book.

I've covered a few more issues of DMZ, and another in the Thursday Next series. At the behest of our intern I started the Tales of the City series. Last week I picked up Rock On for a couple of bucks at Green Apple.

And once again, I find myself feeling obligated to finish a book that's really not doing it for me. A Vindication of the Rights of Woman is (allegedly) an excellent biography of Mary Wollstonecraft. Granted, kindle informs me that I'm only 15% of the way in, but so far I'm pretty bored. And I've got 20+ hours coming up on planes and in airports and More Tales of the City and The Well of Lost Plots are so much more tempting!

Somewhat tangentially, my totally kickass friend Kate keeps churning out the publications. You have been following her, right?

2 Comments:

Blogger A White Bear said...

Darling, the Vindication is one of the most important and delightful feminist statements in history! Don't read it as an autobiography (for that, read her husband Godwin's book about her), but I do promise it's full of delightful stuff! (Her "horse laugh" in the face of men picking things up for women cracks me up.) But no, she's not the most entertaining writer of the 18th century.

12:04 AM  
Blogger Katey said...

Do you know, I read "Maria, or the Wrongs of Woman" very recently as a kind of research thing. (When writing early 19th century feminist-type characters, I assume it's a necessity.) I did enjoy it, but I don't know how much I'd like a biography of her. If it's not doing it for you, I wonder if it would for me. Probably not.

Thank you for the shout out! <3

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home