Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Saturday, November 15, 2003

I've been getting reminders lately to be there for my friends. Like tonight, at the club, when some guy wouldn't stop dancing with Ryan. We kept asking her if she wanted us to intervene, but she insisted she wanted to handle it on her own. Then I watched as the two of them walked off towards the back of the club, towards the bathrooms. I couldn't see where the guy went, but was pretty sure Ryan went into the ladies room. I tried to keep an eye on the door, to make sure she came back out and headed toward us. Then my phone rang. Ryan, "I need help." For 10 heart-stopping seconds Sanna and I ran to the ladies room. Ryan was fine. Just needed us to help her ditch the creepy guy. I couldn't help thinking, what if she hadn't been ok...what if I hadn't heard my phone? Perhaps it's paranoia, but I think it was the universe reminding me how important it is to be there for the people who matter to me.

Anyway, in other news, I walked past the club where two people were shot and killed earlier this week. And I felt ok. Not, ok, as in I didn't care that two people had died there. But ok, as in, I wasn't scared or freaked out. That's a long way from the weeks back at Case when I wouldn't leave a one block radius around my dorm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home