Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Sunday, March 20, 2005

The dilemma

Ok, so it isn't a new one. Here's the story - Brad is visiting this weekend and he was supposed to get in around 11:30 this morning. But he called earlier to say his flight was already at least an hour delayed and he'd probably be getting in closer to 12:30 or 1. So I get home this morning, check in with him around noon, the cell goes straight to voicemail, so I assume he's still on the flight. I leave him a message to call when he lands and proceed to sit around and wait. A little after 1 I start to get worried. I check the flight number that he sent me, and supposedly that flight landed on time at 11:30. Ok, so it's possible that he missed that flight and is on another one. I sit and stew. 2:00 rolls around. I'm worried. Ten minutes later he finally calls, all normal, hey, I just got in, this place is a madhouse, I'll be there soon. So I want to bring it up when he gets here, say something about how the website must have been mistaken because it said his flight was on time and see what he says. But I don't want him to think I check up on him because then he'll start telling me even less than he already does. So the general question is - do I humor my brother too much? I know I ask this just about every time I see him. And part of me thinks I should just settle for the disfunctional relationship that we do have, because he seems to like me, and we get along ok, and he does tell me some things, and siblings should sort of play nice, right? On the other hand, it's a pretty one-sided relationship that ends up costing me emotional energy. Which isn't the healthiest thing ever. But would I really get anything out of some sort of confrontation with him? Or not even a confrontation, just a cessation of tolerating all the little things he does, all the little lies I know he tells, that I let slide?

1 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

Nothing about his arrival made sense. The flight info that he sent me indicated that he was catching an early flight to philly and then connecting to here. The story he told is that DC was all fogged in, so he was late leaving in the morning. So maybe he missed his philly flight. But then the way he mentioned his trip here made it sound like he had a quick direct flight, rather than the 2.5 hour connecting flight he was supposed to have. Which is, again, plausible, but when I said that I had been a little worried that he was so late and hoped he didn't have some major travel meltdown he shrugged it off and said no, just a slightly delayed departure. Which would seem to imply that he did not in fact miss his philly flight and somehow get re-routed to a direct flight that would have had to leave hours later to get in when he called and claimed he had just landed. One of the things that annoys me so much about Brad's half-truths is just how bad he is at lying - it's almost always trivial to poke logical holes in the stories he tells, it just usually doesn't seem worth it. Honestly, I can't imagine what would happen if I just called him on it. I fear some exhausting verbal tick that in the end would not be worth the exchange.

m

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home