Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

So it's the calm before the storm, and after my crabby/crappy weekend I'm feeling entitled to sit and do nothing and enjoy the slight buzz from my generous rum and coke but alas, in two short weeks I will be in the middle of a veritable shit storm of midterms and homework assignments interrupted briefly by a visit from my brother. So I really should be getting on top of things NOW. But finishing my book about MIT gamblers and watching more old episodes of Gilmore Girls (thanks netflix!) and curling up in bed sounds so much more appealing...anyway, yeah, I'm boring. The thing I've been meaning to ponder and post about thoughtfully, but which will clearly never get the time it deserves, is this:

Am I a fair-weather believer?
One of my few fully coherent thoughts during the movie Hotel Rwanda was, How can these people possibly believe in God? Now, I have always understood how some people may be atheist or agnostic, it's just never been something that seemed to make much sense in my life. I've always believed in some sort of higher power and generally been very comfortable with my relationship with said higher power. But the more I think about it, the more it seems this is because, truth be told, it's very easy to believe in God when living my life. I'm not trying to brag or anything, I'm just trying to be honest - when one has a healthy relationship with one's parents, fantastic friends, is fortunate enough to have access to a good education, etc. etc. etc. it's easy to sit back and say, yeah, God is pretty great. And I do take time to stop and say thank you and appreciate the good things in my life. But I wonder. If/when those things are tested, is my faith "faithful" enough to stand up? I know this is the farthest thing from a unique question, and I'm not looking for some hokey "why do bad things happen to good people" crap. I'm just trying to do some (semi-public) introspection.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home