Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Friday, April 15, 2005

Happy but Tired

Wow, where to even begin? Over the past 48 hours I have been fortunate enough to enjoy talks from President Jimmy Carter, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Mary Robinson, National Organization for Women president Kim Gandy, and UN Special Rapporteur on the Right to Health Paul Hunt. And tonight I'm hanging out with Doctors for Global Health founder Lannie Smith (his invitation included the Emma Goldman quote, "If I can't dance I don't want to join your revolution.").

Carter
started with a joke about a man who finds himself at the pearly gates, talking to St. Peter. I've been a good man, a good Christian, he says. I said nice things about people and talked about equality and justice. But what have you actually done to help another person? St. Peter asks. And the man thinks a while and says well, one time my wife and I gave a sandwich to a homeless person. That's good, replies St. Peter, about what monetary amount would you assign to that action? And the man says, oh, I guess about 50 cents. And then this other time my neighbor's house burned down and I gave him a spare table that I wasn't using, since he lost all his furniture in the fire. Ok, says St. Peter, and about how much was that worth? Well, I guess another 50 cents says the man. Well, says St. Peter, I'll have to consult a higher authority to determine whether or not you get to come in. And he comes back a while later and says, he told me to give you back your dollar and tell you to go to hell!
So Carter goes on to talk about human rights and building latrines (I've been president, and now I'm an expert latrine builder! The Carter Center works on neglected diseases, one of which is trachoma, the most common form of preventable blindness, it's caused by flies, and one way to prevent it is to build latrines, which reduces the fly population) and then he works back around to the amount of foreign aid provided by the united states. Want to guess how much we spend per 100 dollars? 18 cents. And that's broadly categorized as "international development funds." So that 18 cents for every 100 dollars is split between things like military support and healthcare and housing development and education and whatnot. And Carter talks about how much other countries are spending (not much more, but some) and how much it has been estimated would be needed to start really solving the world's hunger, health, and general poverty problems (44 cents for every 100 dollars) and how other countries have pledged to increase their amounts by 2018 and whatnot. And then he ends with his own punchline - I hope Americans don't find themselves at the pearly gates one day only to hear, take your 18 cents and go to hell!

Mary Robinson
continued the tsunami point of reference that has been used numerous times during the conference, saying that 30,000 children die every day from hunger and other preventable diseases, in a "silent tsunami." It's not that members of the public health community don't think we should help the tsunami victims, or that they're so uncreative they keep using the same reference. I just think they're all wondering the same thing I asked last month - how do we somehow convince people to feel the same sort of empathy for other groups of people in need? What was so fundamentally different about the tsunami that 1/3 of American households generously responded with some sort of aid, and yet many of those same people can't be bothered to take action for people dying in Sudan or Rwanda or their own inner cities?

I won't go into the details of Paul Hunt's talk, except to mention that I actually got to meet him at a later session, where Dabney presented the paper we've been working on and he said, "You've done some really interesting work." Validation from one of my heroes! Amazing. Also, during the Q&A session someone said how nice it is to be in a room full of "practical dreamers." Indeed it is.

So, just like APHA back in November, it seems I'm very lucky in that these kinds of conferences magically come around when I need them most. One more day tomorrow.

The Kim Gandy talk wasn't even associated with the conference, it just happened that she was on campus last night. She was awesome, but primarily preaching to the choir. However, she did provide an explanation of social security that made sense. I have no idea how accurate this is, but here it is, as I understood it:

Originally, we (as a society) put as much money into social security as we took out. But around 1970, when the Boomers started entering the work force we suddenly had more going in than going out. But someone realized that eventually the Boomers would retire and the situation would be reversed, and so they started paying into the (infamous) trust fund. Now that fund has been growing for about 3 decades and in 2012 when the majority of the boomers start retiring, we'll be paying out more money than is going in. But that's ok, because we'll be paying out the trust fund that has been building for 30 years. Then, in 2042, when, let's face it, most of the Boomers will be dead, the trust fund will be spent and we'll go back to paying in as much as we pay out. All of which is based on the conservative estimate that the economy grows at 3% between now and 2042. Over the past 50 years the economy has grown at an average of 3.6%.

Ok, that's all for now, I've got to sack out for a bit before tackling some homework and then partying with all the other idealistic public health dorks.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if its a lack of empathy that is the problem... I mean, I know I would love to cure all the worlds problems with poverty and illness if I could, and I dont think you'd find too many people who feel otherwise... I'd think they just see a limited amount of resources and feel that they should keep most of it to improve their own communities.

I mean, I'm all for improving schools, increasing research dollars, environmental improvement grants, and dozens of other programs that improves the standard of living here in Alaska in America as a whole. Yet every dollar spent there is one that doesnt go to foriegn aid... and its not like we're running an excess anymore. So, what to do?

---S.

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I think there are two related questions: how much life-improvement will an extra dollar spent abroad get you compared to an extra dollar spent domestically (probably a lot, since there are almost certainly diminishing returns, and the domestic situation starts off at a higher level in most places; though maybe not if you cannot avoid corruption), and how much is a certain level of life-improvement in a foreign country worth to us as a society (you as an individual) compared to a comparable improvement at home.

I agree that there are limited resources, but based on the marginal efficacy of aid, its probably not the real reason. I think our lack of appropriate foreign aid is due to the latter... most people may appreciate in an abstract sense helping out a developing country, they don't care enough to make it a policy priority.

Egon

10:01 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Hmmm...I may not have stated my question very clearly. I wasn't so much asking about the 18 cents specifically. That's a result of government policies, and, to a certain extent, I understand how those decisions are made. I was wondering on a more individual level, why people choose to support some causes and not others. Obviously, this is a very personal decision (as demonstrated by the ongoing philanthropy lists over on Sid's site) and I certainly don't expect anyone to support all causes. I'm just curious why such an overwhelming proportion of our society was so motivated to help the tsunami victims, and not any number of other causes. Yes, I'm sure many of those who sent aid to Asia also send aid to other causes, but in a general sense, I can't think of any other event that has spurred such an outpouring. Not the earthquake in Iraq a few years ago, maybe not even 9/11 (not a fair comparison, but I'm basing this on the fact that numerous organizations have had to turn down tsunami donations because they've fulfilled their budgets and I'm not sure many (any?) groups set up to help 9/11 victims had that 'problem'). So I'm trying to figure out what specifically it is about the tsunami that made so many people choose to open their wallets and how perhaps that can be harnessed to help others in need.

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home