Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Abortion

Amelia confirms my (personally, somewhat startling) conclusion from about a week ago:
all of this is getting to one point: whatever your moral convictions about abortion, you need to understand that they are, indeed must be, different from your political/legal preferences about abortion. abortion might be awful. it might be murder. it might be "genocide," as the crazies outside PPSP are fond of putting it. none of that means that public policies restricting access to the safe provision of abortion services are the right public policy instrument for ending abortions. for a variety of reasons (see "mind-bending gravity," above), women will seek abortions whether they are legal or not. this has a direct analog in abstinence-only sex "education:" namely, you can make the practice secret and illicit, but that will not by itself have any effect, save this: the consequences of the act will be more dire.

(go read the rest of her musings/rant, it's well worth it)

Therapy

this morning was a little weird...I ended up devolving into what felt like verbal diarrhea about my various relationships with Mom, Dad, and Brad. Given that these topics have well been covered in previous sessions five years ago, I'm not sure how fruitful it was. Plus, when I venture onto those topics I sound like people I hate - spouting psycho-babble about how "I know it's not my job to fix things" and whatnot. Blah. Plus, is it reasonable that I have a hard time taking my therapist seriously ever since I walked in wearing a March for Women's Lives shirt and she asked, what's that?

My Darling April

has joined the ranks of the scary real world, with a real job! Congrats April! She is officially the data manager for "Safety and Dose Escalating Study of Oral Sodium Phenylbutyrate in Subjects with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis." You know you're jealous.

Also, mostly for April, but also as a reminder to myself, and for anyone else who might be interested - new in paperback - "Soul Made Flesh: The Discovery of the Brain - and How It Changed the World" by Carl Zimmer.

Moving

(disclaimer - I realize that many who read my and/or carrie's blogs are probably tired of listening to us go on and on about each other and Mark, and I was going to apologize for that and justify it with the fact that I'll be seeing her in less than a week(!) and therefore we are on each others minds even more than usual, but then I remembered, hey, this is my blog, screw you! I can write about whatever I damn well please)

Over lunch today I was telling Anna how even though she's moving in before I am she should let me know when she plans to spend her first night at our new place so I can come over and we can have a little slumber party and of course I thought of Mark and Carrie and I camped out with sleeping bags and the flip-n-fuck and little else in our lovely, empty Belmar Estates and I very nearly suggested renting The Pillowbook before I remembered that's not really everyone's thing.

Jennings Lee Hart, Esquire

Just a little shout-out to one of my oldest and dearest friends who either is currently or will be soon taking The Bar and shortly thereafter will make, I am sure, a damn fine lawyer.

Ok, back to surfing the Ikea site for furniture I cannot yet afford instead of working on my lit review.

1 Comments:

Blogger amelia said...

yo yo.

1. thanks for the shout-out.

2. i [heart] therapy. but maybe not that therapist? do you feel like she's challenging you or giving you new insights, or is it still too early for that?

3. you should TOTALLY go on and on and on about your friends, because when you are blessed with friends like yours (i have some like that, too), it needs to be shouted from the rooftops. all hail the family of choice!

that is all.

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home