Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Ech. Went for a run this morning, then loaded heavy boxes into my car, then some stupid bitch from UGA rear-ended me on my way to the new apt! The car is fine, it was a low-speed collision, but my back is a little out of whack and I'm cranky about it. Fortunately, about an hour of lying perfectly flat and a long hot shower later and it seems like it will probably work itself out. Stupid. Bitch. (for about two seconds I wanted to call over the police (she hit me literally 20 feet from the scene of a much more serious accident, so there were cops all over) and make her cry. but then I decided it wasn't worth it)

Anyway. So Anna and I finally picked bedrooms today, and I got the 'front' one, which means I *finally* have the blue room I wanted so much when I was little (but got pink instead!). I'm thinking of painting the bathroom lavender, as a little throwback to Rosenfeld's first apartment (her living room was lavender, and I used to fantasize about dropping out of school and living on the floor of her living room).

I'm almost done with Reading Lolita in Tehran and really wishing that I knew more Iranian history. I wasn't really cognizant during the revolution and the war between Iran and Iraq, and I certainly wasn't watching/reading the news, but for pete's sake, one of my best friends in the third grade was a girl whose family fled the Ayatollah just a couple of years earlier, and yet somehow I have absolutely no knowledge of the situation whatsoever. I feel like I have a memory of hearing about Hussein attacking the Kurds, but that's probably a created memory from all the news stories re-hashing it when we went to war with Iraq. So my earliest realizations that there was even a world over there must have been sixth grade, when we packed boxes for soldiers in the first Gulf War. What a sad state of current affairs knowledge.

I can't decide what to pick up next. I'm leaning toward Rules for Radicals, but am wondering how likely that is to increase my probability of a randomized search on the way to NYC. I could start A Short History of Infinity, but I don't think I'm ready to read about math for pleasure (even if it is written by one of the Daves).

Oh, and when I get back from NYC the address officially changes. I don't know many people who still use my snail mail address, but if you're one of 'em, give me a yell and I'll send you the update. Phone and e-mail and whatnot will stay the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home