Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Dirty Dancing!

I'm really glad that Melissa was able to take a break from her moving extravaganza to join me for Dirty Dancing, back in movie theaters, for its 20th anniversary! It was corny and awesome (there was applause and cheers after "Nobody puts Baby in a corner!"). Things I noticed for the first time this time:
The age difference. I guess in my memory I knew he was older, but I never realized just how much older. She's like 16. And he's like 30. It should be a little creepy.
How tiny Penny is! Ok, I've noticed that before, but in the little retrospective they showed before the movie the director revealed that the actress who played Penny was a former gymnast. So I spent the whole movie not being able to get over how simultaneously tall and tiny she is - I find it impossible to believe that she could support herself on her arms.
How sleazy the other boys are - Robbie and whatever the son's (grandson's?) name is. Yes, it's all just to make Johnny even more of a hero, but I was totally oblivious to that as a kid. The way they look at and talk to women throughout the movie makes my skin crawl.
"If you love me, you have to love all the things about me." It takes real guts to say that to your Dad.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sid said...

I agree, it does take guts to say it... but do you buy it? 'cause if I were her dad, I'd be inclined to call b.s. on her ultimatum. Just because you love someone doesn't mean you have to be accepting of every facet of their character, just enough for your shared time to be worthwhile.

3:37 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Interesting. I didn't hear it so much as an ultimatum as a reminder of how unconditional love is supposed to work.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Sid said...

Interesting. I heard it as a variant of the whole "love it or leave it" routine that's always felt so confrontational to me.

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home