Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Monday, May 25, 2009


New beginnings


Last trip to Flying Biscuit with the roommate? Check
Score free drink ticket for flight due to delays checking in? Check
Sail through security, despite last-minute purchase of one-way ticket? Check (TSA – I am highly skeptical about your algorithm for additional security checks!)
Splurge on GQ with Christian Bale on cover? Check (bonus for reminder that writing in GQ is actually quite impressive!)
Successfully arrive at new apartment? Check
Comfortably ensconced in sweats, sitting on couch enjoying pizza and beer? Check
Pleasantly surprised by thoughtful gift from old roommate? Check (“hope your new life in san Francisco is as glorious as you made mine in atlanta” Aw!)

I still don’t feel like I live here, despite unpacking two giant, over-stuffed suitcases. Then again, I pretty much always unpack and nest whenever I stay somewhere more than a day or two…eventually it will sink in that this is home and I’m not headed back to Atlanta, at least not in the immediate future.

But all in all I have to say that the bon voyage was all I could have asked for – excellent quality time with the people who matter, very little feeling of being rushed, accomplishment of all necessary errands and To Do List items, and generally satisfying feelings of closure.

Tomorrow morning the Comcast folks arrive to hook up cable and internet, and (allegedly) my movers also arrive tomorrow. The plan is to have a little Ikea shopping spree on Tuesday (thanks cohort for the gift certificate!). Perhaps by then it will sink in that I live here now.

Also, Mark Twain was right – I arrived on a record-breaking coldest day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home