Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Monday, June 22, 2009

Free ain't Free!
(aka: one of the many reasons why CA is going broke)

Dear CA,

I know I'm new here, but a few things are already pretty obvious to me, which seem to be somewhat less obvious to you. For example, things cost money! Exhibit A - the recent battle over charging admission to the Botanical Gardens. Yes, of course, beautiful, cultural things should be accessible to everyone. But you guys know you're going broke, right?

You know how all those museums and gardens and the zoo are free in Washington DC? You know how they do that? Incredibly high taxes (without representation, I might add, but that's whole different rant) levied on those who live in the district! You know how you guys are paying for free stuff? By going into debt! You know why? You capped property taxes, and through some fancy language in the bill, made it nearly impossible to raise income taxes too, in 1978! Are you insane?!

Now I know, it's easy for me to say. I just started making money, I feel like I've got a lot of it to spread around, and even before then I was pretty in favor of taxes. But the tough news is you've got to pay for things one way or another. Either raise the revenue in taxes or charge the people who use the stuff. But do something!

hugs and kisses,
your newest resident

1 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

Welcome to California! I just moved here a few years ago from the Northeast.

Speaking as one of the people in the 9.3% state income tax bracket (http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/layouthtmls/swzl_statetaxrate_CA.html) and in a county with 9.25% sales tax (http://www.boe.ca.gov/cgi-bin/rates.cgi), I'm in favor of charging people for services. If it's any consolation, they do charge admission for the Japanese tea garden.

7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home