Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Wednesday, March 12, 2003

Agreed to substitute teach for Scott on Tuesday. Why? Clearly, because I have gone completely insane. I have zero teaching experience (tutoring and SI sessions really don't count) and negative free time on my hands. Sigh. Someday I will learn to say no to interesting opportunities...but I just can't see that as a good thing...

Spent over an hour standing outside in the cold talking to Brian today instead of going to home to do work...not sure why I felt the need to mention that, but there it is. Probably because it was a really nice conversation and I know if I told carrie about it she'd just tease me about flirting with a married man...which is not what was occurring...we just hit each other's intellectual kinks more than most other people do, so it seems natural to talk to him about how cool/interesting/hard my masters project is...sure, I can talk to other people about that too, but how many of them can discuss the finer points of t-tests, paired t-tests, permutation tests, MANOVA, imputation, and statistical significance versus practical significance? I think I may be experiencing my first really satisfying professional colleague relationship-thing. No wonder most fields have membership organizations...it's really satisfying to discuss work about which you are excited with people who share your interest without the pressure of boss/professor/classroom/presentation/etc. sorts of settings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home