Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Sunday, December 14, 2003

Just finished The Hours and am wondering if it won any awards for cinematography? It is so exquisitely filmed. Also, there's something so impeccably...female about it that I can't believe it was written by a man. And no, I don't mean because the leads are all female. That moment in the kitchen when Meryl Streep says she feels like she's unravelling...and then does, right there in front of Jeff Daniels...well, it was a sort of hysteria that I really believe only happens to women. Not that men don't lose it too...just in a different way. And every single thing about Julianne Moore's character...I've never known of a man going quietly insane in the house all day...how did this male author capture these things? I'm afraid I sound sexist, and I don't mean to...but really, there is this specific sort of hysteria that seems to be strictly female, and yet Michael Cunningham just nails it, in every character...how did he know?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home