Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Friday, December 19, 2003

Perhaps because it's the season and all, but coincidentally some friends and I were having a (less than sober) conversation last night about religion and that happens to be partially the topic over on Amelia's blog. My favorite part:

"i am worried about all of us who, at one time or another, have been religious in an easy, self-serving way, a way that allows us to ignore the wisdom of people who know better or to turn our eyes from the consequences of our actions."

Of course, I lump myself into the "us" to whom she refers, and I know I'm not the best example of Christian love and that I certainly don't do all that I am capable of doing to help my fellow man/woman...anyway, I just thought it was interesting that we were talking about the same thing last night. Lamenting how what we see as the crux of virtually any religious teaching is so easily lost - love your neighbor, share your coat (Amelia's entry references luke 3:11 - "Whoever has two coats must share with anyone who has none; and whoever has food must do likewise."), hate the sin, love the sinner, i.e. be kind to each other. It's such a simple notion that gets all messed up when religion becomes politics and people start using the bible as a weapon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home