Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Tuesday, January 13, 2004

Credit Cards

So I'm shopping around for a new credit card. I've had the same one since freshman year, through my formerly-local credit union in WV. There's nothing particularly wrong with it, but there's nothing particularly great about it either. And now that I'm in a frequent flyer program, I'd really like to earn some extra miles for spending money. Problem is, the delta flyer credit card comes with an annual fee. Call me stingy, but I'm not really up for paying $80 a year just to get to use a piece of plastic. And I don't run enough money through my credit card to make teeny tiny points programs worth it (AmEx offers a card where you can trade points for discount coupons on airline tickets, but you have to spend thousands and thousands of dollars before you get, like, a $50 coupon). I'm not too terribly worried about monthly and annual interest rates, as I intend to pay off the bill in full every month (yes, I can hear you all scoffing from here, but I've managed to do just that for the past 5 years and credit card debt scares the bejeezus out of me, so I think it's pretty likely that I'll keep it up). So, call me lazy, but anyone out there with more experience/knowledge in the credit card market have any suggestions? Or am I being too picky and should I just suck it up and pay the lousy $80 a year to earn 10,000 (!) bonus flyer miles?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also like travelling and do it frequently. I use one of the rewards cards not only to earn extra miles but also because of convenience to pay. I carry cash very seldom and take only cards if they are available in that country or city where I am going to.

2:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that the choice of credit cards is very personal and any advice is pointless... I advise you to read an article about credit cards' fees for using abroad. This aspect is very important when choosing a card for traveling.

5:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home