Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Friday, April 22, 2005

This is my new favorite toy. Kathy and I were still at school around 6 tonight (yay for being dorky enough to stay at school until 9 on a friday night!) and starving and didn't want to order pizza. I'd heard of these folks before but never tried 'em. Turns out here they deliver for Flying Biscuit, a tasty Atlanta institution. So one chicken and potato salad later and I have a happy tummy.

Also today I got drenched on my way to a non-trivial meeting with a potential boss/advisor. I knew it was supposed to storm this afternoon, and around 1 as the sky was darkening I decided I better head out for my 2:00 meeting a little early, try to beat the storm. So I hit the front door of the building just as it started to rain, but I had an umbrella, so no biggie. Then literally 30 seconds later, once I'd reached the street, the rain turned horizontal, my umbrella turned inside out, and I could lean significantly forward without tipping over or making much forward progress. So I abandoned ship and darted back in the direction of my building. Maybe another 60 seconds. And I may as well have stood under a showerhead. Figuring that I couldn't very well meet this guy looking like a drowned rat, I called and re-scheduled the meeting for next week, then headed upstairs to beg a ride home from Brian so I could change into dry clothes before my presentation this afternoon. Fortunately he's a good guy like that.

And speaking of potential bosses/advisors, this whole dissertation thing just sort of took off last week, which is actually rather exciting. During a meeting with my current advisor to figure out classes for next semester, she suggested I sign up for research hours with her, so we talked a little more seriously about what she's working on and what I'd be doing and she formally said she'd be happy to have me as a student. But feeling like I should probably do at least a tad more research before jumping on a good thing, I scheduled meetings with two other profs in the department (one was supposed to be today, the other Monday). So it's a little scary, but mostly exciting.

Now to decide whether I need some quality me time tonight (I'm thinking face mask, pedicure, dumb action flick featuring attractive people) or quality friend time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home