Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Friday, May 13, 2005

Books

One of my favorite rewards for surviving a semester is book shopping. Today's purchases:

"The Sex Side of Life" Mary Ware Dennett's Pioneering Battle for Birth Control and Sex Education by Constance M. Chen (an impulse buy off the sales rack)
Everything and More by David Foster Wallace (been on my list for a while)
Rules for Radicals A Pragmatic Primer for Realistic Radicals by Saul D. Alinsky (also on my list for a while)
Making Patriots by Walter Berns (impulse buy while in the poli sci section looking for Rules for Radicals; can't tell yet if I'm going to like it or be incredibly pissed off by it...either way, should be good)

And since I haven't been keeping up with my Hornsby-inspired book-related entries - What I've been reading:
Villa Incognito by Tom Robbins - enjoyable, and very dirty, but the friend who loaned it to me admitted that the first 50 pages are the best, so now I'm finding it hard to finish, and instead have been distracted by
The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera - Carrie has tried to convince me to read this for ages (by the way Dear, did you know that I have your copy? did you give it to me when we moved or did I just borrow it and not return it? If it's the latter, I'm sorry!) and I've always been intimidated by it, but the boy's recommendation finally pushed me over the edge. I'm halfway through and quite pleased. This will inevitably lead to a re-reading of Anna Karenina. Otherwise,
Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi will be next.
And the guilty pleasure - Delaying the Real World: A Twentysomething's Guide to Seeking Adventure

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home