Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

The Story

About 4 weeks ago I'm in Paul's office, pestering him about something, when, as we're wrapping things up, he says, shut the door. Typically this means a) Paul has some constructive criticism to offer or b) some embarrassing thing to tell me. Turns out, one of his/our students had inquired as to whether or not I'm single. To which I replied, because I'm classy like this, tell him to grow a pair and ask me himself (and one wonders why I so rarely date). But eventually I tell him that yes, I am currently single, but it's a moot point since it's highly inappropriate to date one of my students. So for the next 4 weeks or so he sort of taunts me about it, and I try to narrow down the possibilities (not terribly difficult as there are only about a dozen boys total in the entire class, half of which are married). So last Tuesday Paul gave his final, all the TAs stuck around that evening to grade it, and now none of those students are our students anymore. So Wednesday the boy invites me out for drinks with him and his friends, where he proceeds to (somewhat obviously) get me drunk and I (also somewhat obviously?) let him get me drunk. (though, in hindsight, perhaps I should have stopped about one beer earlier than I did. ah well.) A good time was had by all and around 1 the next afternoon I finally dragged myself home and off to school, where I had two assignments to finish up by the end of the day (yeah, because I'm all responsible like that). Two similar days followed, though, thankfully, with somewhat less drinking involved. (meanwhile, he has one final left to take and an apartment to pack up and I have two finals left. yeah, our timing for spending all morning lounging around in bed was impeccable.) And now he's driving back to NY before heading to Fiji and then Germany. So I guess we'll see what August brings...

So what's he like? Funny and charming and perhaps just the sort of irresponsible influence I needed this week to keep my sanity. In his words, 'I think we have the same personality, just different experiences.'

Meanwhile, I'm so close to done...and yet so far. I survived my big scary theory final this afternoon and now completely lack the motivation to work on my take home for my last remaining class...due in about 38 hours...so instead I treated myself to some shopping therapy this evening and got some new pajamas and possibly the softest robe ever. And I'm already busily planning quality time with scott and april before they move back to boston and daydreaming about everything that will happen this summer, conveniently ignoring my looming qualifying exam.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home