Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Books Completed: Anna Karenina, Leo Tolstoy -

"I shall still get angry with my coachman Ivan, I shall still argue and express my thoughts inopportunely; there will still be a wall between the holy of holies of my soul and other people, even my wife, and I shall still blame her for my own fears and shall regret it; I shall still be unable to understand with my reason why I am praying, and I shall continue to pray - but my life, my whole life, independently of anything that may happen to me, every moment of it, is no longer meaningless as it was before, but has an incontenstable meaning of goodness, with which I have the power to invest it."


Books started: Reading Lolita inTehran: A Memoir in Books, Azar Nafisi
Only five pages in, but already I'm tempted to recommend it to Carrie (aside - I rarely recommend books to Carrie, as literature is her domain, and chances are that if there's a book out there which she may enjoy, she already knows about it. plus, as a gal who's supposed to know just about the entire canon of literature for her orals, it's not like she has a lot of time for "oh, my neighbor's daughter's teacher heard about this book on Oprah! you must read it!" Anyway, Nafisi appears to love Nabokov nearly as much as Carrie, hence the temptation for the recommendation.)

So I plan to spend the afternoon with Nafisi, rather than starting my lit review. That can surely wait until tomorrow. And this evening is the beginning of Shark Week, which I say is just about the perfect cap to a lovely weekend.

Yesterday I got a much-needed haircut (Cody, whom I adore, keeps insisting that I grow out my bangs so I can have this sultry, hair-slightly-falling-over-one-eye thing happening, which is fun for a few days, but inevitably drives me nuts and ends with me hacking them back into a roughly straight cut across my brows. Anyway...) then several of us braved the mass of humanity for the free Weezer concert downtown. It was a pretty good show, and I'm glad that I went, but mostly just reminded me how much I generally dislike people. Especially the drunk high school kid variety. I'm sorry, but I'm actually standing on both my feet, so if you could quit walking all over them, that would be awesome. Also, no, there is not a better viewing spot a few feet in front of me, we're all packed in here like sardines, so quit trying to angle for a better view. And no, you cannot wedge your gross, sweaty body in between my friend and I, so quit saying excuse me. I heard you, and I'm ignoring you.

So after coming home and washing the sweat of about a dozen strangers off of me (definitely ranks in my top 5 greatest showers ever) I headed back over to the boys' place for beer and Pulp Fiction (damn that movie is better every single time I watch it. but that extra scene with Uma Thurman telling Travolta that there are two kinds of people in the world, right before they go out to dinner? I completely forgot that it isn't in the original version). Came home and had a lovely hour-long chat with Mark and finally crashed around 5 this morning.

This afternoon Sanna woke me up, as per my request, for our Big Sunday Extravaganza. Breakfast burritos and biscuits and coffee at Gato Bisco, window shopping in Candler Park, where I was welcomed by a shop owner to my soon-to-be new 'hood (Lake Claire/Candler Park is a great neighborhood full of hippies and artists), then more window shopping in Virginia Highlands capped off by a trip to Paolo's for some gelato. It doesn't get much better.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, the Russians. How I love them.

If you're going to read Tolstoy, you've got to read 'the Brothers Karamazov'. If you haven't, you haven't really read Tolstoy.

Or, if you're looking for less dense reading, I'd recommend 'What men live by', which is a collection of short stories. It's good for an idealistic soul, and frequently serves to uplift me when people have got me down.

~S.

10:58 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

C - Excited? I'm giddy! Just yesterday I heard about that tour and thought, oh, I wish I could go!

S - I read Brothers freshman year, along with Anna, and remember absolutely nothing about it...I'm not sure if that means I didn't like it, or I should try it again. But What Men Live By sounds right up my alley. Thanks!

8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home