Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Friday, July 15, 2005

So it's been an interesting week. The boy was unexpectedly back in town, which means most days were spent lounging in bed and watching movies* and getting absolutely nothing done. No complaints here. Fortunately though, from an economic perspective, things are picking up a bit. Met with Lance today about starting a lit search on health disparities and turns out my least favorite prof has no idea that I strongly dislike her and for some crazy reason thought I'd make a good advisee. Nevertheless, I'm going to see if we can compromise on some part-time work rather than a dissertation-size project, as the topic is interesting and I could work primarily with Brian, which is always enjoyable. And my advisor hopes to have actual data soon, so I may even start playing around with some dissertation research. Plus, over the past few days I've gotten back into writing some code and was pleasantly surprised that even after a two month hiatus I still mostly remember how to do this stuff. So, yeah, intellectual matters have been generally good and rewarding. Which is, quite frankly, a huge relief. (my brain has felt so fragile lately that literally up until a couple of weeks ago I've felt incapable of reading anything with equations or Greek letters. I was starting to worry that might not wear off) And I leave for NYC in a few weeks and we're moving about the same time, so, you know, things are going on. Thank goodness I didn't end up with some 'real' job this summer. Pulling full time hours right now, while nicer for my bank account, would really kind of suck. Instead, I do believe I'll continue to milk my 3 am bedtime-noon wake-up time for all it's worth.

*The Ring - excellent, impressive cinematography, incredibly disturbing imagery that's difficult to avoid, even if you're a wimp like me and watch scary movies mostly through your fingers
War of the Worlds - enjoyable, as long as you go in with the expectation of a summer movie where things explode and people scream; more graphic and somewhat more disturbing imagery than I was expecting, satisfying ending (true to original story) as far as the aliens go, typical annoying human characters from Spielberg
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - thoroughly enjoyable, totally over the top, very trippy (if you do drugs, I'm certain that indulging before this movie will increase your enjoyment); as usual, Depp is brilliant and amazing to watch

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home