Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

"It's not your fault."

I had a rather "Good Will Hunting" moment this morning in therapy. My therapist offered up that phrase in response to my argument that this whole anxiety thing is so frustrating because I feel like I did everything right - I really felt like I was taking care of myself before the exam, making time for trips to the gym and quality time with friends and whatnot. It's surprising how hard it is to believe that this isn't my fault. It's my brain that's doing this to me, it's my life that nuked me, so to speak. How can it not be my fault? So, yeah. Therapy was...a little rough this morning.

Fortunately, coming home to the boy still in my bed, and going back to sleep until mid-afternoon, was the opposite of rough. In fact, it was downright lovely.

1 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

Funnily enough, my therapist seems to be taking the opposite tack. After bringing up my difficulty with (inability?) asking for help (something which I think is a fairly obvious personality trait to point out) she asked if seeking therapy was particularly hard, and I said no, since I had done it before and felt pretty good about it. She then asked, "but right before you went to therapy for that first time, did you feel...a little...defeated?"

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home