Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Friday, December 02, 2005

There have been a flurry of posts lately tackling the issue of social equality between men and women, i.e. the real glass ceiling is at home. I bookmarked the article that link goes to a few days ago, meaning to come back and patch together a coherent post about it, but of course, Bitch PhD beat me to it. And meanwhile I got all side tracked being horrified by this article in my Ms. - "A troubling Supreme Court decision weakens women's protection from abusers." Despite having a restraining order against her estranged husband, when Simon Gonzales drove off with their three daughters the Castle Rock, Colorado police department refused to grant Jessica Gonzales's pleas to go after him. Over eight hours later they discovered all three girls' dead in his trunk. When Ms. Gonzales sued the police department for refusing to enforce her restraining order, the U.S. Supreme Court declared, "We do not believe that ...Colorado law truly made enforcement of restraining orders mandatory." As if restraining orders for domestic violence weren't already enforced in a half-assed way, now the Supreme Court has essentially made them a worthless piece of paper.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sadly, the fact that police departments have no inherant responsbility to enforce restraining orders is old news.

The basic train of thought behind this is as follow, as I understand: police departments are intended to serve communities, to attempt to enforce laws as best they can and maintain order. To make it an inherant duty to prevent the violation of restraining orders, however, essentially turns them into bodyguards and undermines the greater good they serve for a community by forcing them to serve individuals.

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, I looked at the 'glass ceiling' link, and I have to say I'm appalled. Mostly, by how skewed the article seemed to me, and how it paints the views of a society with such a broad brush.

Maybe I'm atypical, but I'd love to be able to stay home with my children. Society, however, tends to be pretty dismissive of the few guys who become stay-at-home dads, describe them as emasculated and some "less" than they'd be if they were working. As Tim Allen (of 'Home Improvement' fame) put it in his book, "the sexual revolution gave women a lot of choices. Men, however, had the same two: go to work, or go to jail". I don't ascribe women the task of childrearing, I just don't think men OR women are open to men being the primary caregiver.

Plus, I know many who don't feel like child services are best for their children. I'd sacrifice a lot to prevent my children from going to a daycare and my mother *works* for one. If that means my wife or I'd have to take a break from our careers to do it, I'd definite push for it. Such breaks are frequently temporary; my mother returned to the workforce once I was older, I know Sara's did too (she's an engineer)... how was it in your family?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if there is a glass ceiling at home, it isn't a issue of the patriarchy holding down women, because women are just as guilty of the mindset that keeps society in the status quo.

5:07 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I totally agree that this is a problem for both men and women (both of whom make up the patriarchy). It sucks just as much for men to feel obligated to be breadwinners as it does for women to feel obligated to be caregivers. Hence why this debate has to be carried out by both genders, because neither is going to have the opportunity for more choices without the other getting the same deal.

I thought of the article as more intense than skewed, but essentially, yeah, that's why I haven't put together an actual post about it yet, because throughout the process of reading it I kept waffling between "Yeah!" and "Um..no, not really at all, yikes."

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home