Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

So I'm in this group, Active Minds, and several of us had dinner together tonight to wrap up the semester and say goodbye to our two graduating co-presidents. Charlotte, one of our founding members (college friend of Ali, the founder of the entire organization) and current med student, gave each of our graduating friends a copy of "Pathologies of Power: Health, Human Rights, and the New War on the Poor" by Paul Farmer. And she said, whenever I'm having a tough time, I read this book, or anything else by Farmer, and remember why I'm doing this and get all excited and motivated again about becoming a doctor. And you guys are leaving to go to medical school, and I want you to feel that way too - to know why you're putting yourself through this. And I thought a) hot damn, now that's the way and the reason to give someone a present! and b) hot damn! now that's how everyone should feel about their profession! I know I've said it before, I'm sure I'll say it again, and I know I'm lucky to feel this way about my work. But given that Charlotte is also author of the quote, "Med school is the nightmare from which I cannot wake," it was awesome on so many levels to hear her love and be excited about and inspired by her work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home