Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Thursday, February 20, 2003

Just got an e-mail from Dr. Taylor at U. Mich. informing me that I will be receiving an acceptance letter from them! As exciting as that is, and as sure as I am that what I'm about to say will make me sound like a snob, I have mixed feelings about it. Primarily because when I visited U. Mich. this past fall, I talked to Dr. Taylor about whether I would be entering the MS or PhD programs, since my MS degree is a combined program with my BS, he was concerned that I would need to go back and take some courses. And in his e-mail this evening he says I've been admitted to the MS program, not the PhD. I know it's lame to be less happy about that, and I know it's completely reasonable for the university to want to make sure I have a solid background. And if I'm being completely honest, the fact is I have a very shaky background, and would definitely benefit from some review courses. So why does it sound insulting and feel like this year spent earning my MS doesn't count to them?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home