Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Tuesday, May 06, 2003

So after watching The Four Feathers tonight (overly-simplistic but still entertaining, since, you know, Heath) I started wondering why Hollywood always goes for the happy ending. I realize this isn't a novel observation, and perhaps my desire for the tragic ending is merely an indication of my (*gasp*) growing cynicism, but I started wondering nonetheless. For instance, in this movie there's the classic love triangle, kate hudson clearly loves heath and he loves her back, but he's a coward and by the time he has more than redeemed himself in battle she is engaged to his best friend, who has also always loved her. Now in my mind, Heath should have come back from the Sudan still loving her, but having gone through too much and being in a place so different that they can no longer be together. Hollywood apparently disagreed with me. The same thing happened in The Count of Monte Cristo. One of the things that's so satisfying about the book is that even though Dantes and Mercedes love is true and pure and all those lovey dovey things, after everything that he goes through, he knows that they can never be together again, that things can never go back to the way that they were. Sad and tragic, but more truthful than the movie ending. Anyway, that was my random stream of consciousness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home