Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Ech. I haven't stifled sobs from behind a locked bathroom stall door in years. (since halfway through my GRE, to be exact) Yesterday I was at the manic end of my stress spectrum. This is maximum stress level for me, and a place where I actually function quite well and rather enjoy. I spent a lot of time there during my Footlighters years. Anyway, it happens when more things must be done than can feasibly get done. Since luxuries like sleep are already out the window, one actually starts believing that there's time for everything - finish all my assignments and help friends tie up loose ends with theses and meet with my students to go over homework and hang out with friends? Sure! Bring it on! I'm like a heightened version of me and I multi-task and speak even faster than usual (bet you didn't think that was possible) and just get shit done. Unfortunately, today I slid back from that level just a tad, into the far less functioning stressed out and grumpy and nearly paralyzed by the sheer quantity of work to be done phase. And I'm sitting in the computer lab pounding my head against this assignment, and I'm mostly lost and my brain isn't in full working order as it's the end of the day, but nonetheless I'm plugging ahead since my To Do List dictates that I must get at least some of part B of this question done today. And I go into my office to ask Raj a question and he shows me his code and it becomes apparent just how totally clueless I am in this class at this moment and I immediately get sick to my stomach. I manage a few more minutes of snapping at my classmates back in the computer lab before taking cover in the restroom followed by a 'mental health break' outside. I'm better now, but I really, really hope that tomorrow I wake up back in the manic state.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"This is maximum stress level for me, and a place where I actually function quite well and rather enjoy."

Um, do you think this is normal? 'cause really, I don't. I'm unconvinced that this is a healthy place for a person to keep finding themselves coming back to, and if you're so used to it that you find it both normal and good... well, that's kinda worrying.

S.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

No, I don't think it's normal or healthy, but as a student for the past 7 years it inevitably rolls around once or twice a year and I've found that once I hit that zone I'm a bit like a machine - solving problems, studying, writing papers. Which, when it's crunch time, is a pretty ok place to be. And much preferable to where I was last night.

m

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home