Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Saturday, December 17, 2005

John Spencer (aka Leo McGarry) died yesterday.






Weirdly, in between repeated mashings of my snooze button this morning, I kept dreaming that I worked for Josh Lyman. But was way less annoying than Donna.

One of my favorite 'When I Grow Up' fantasies involves me working as a public health policy wonk (it's ill-defined how I find this job...working for a think tank? or the District Health Department?). My brother is working as a chief of staff or speech writer or something for a senator (or maybe even the president?) and I drive him nuts because through him I know all the right people to pester and I have a tendency to storm in to offices dramatically and rant a la Mary-Louise Parker/Amy. Of course, I could never actually have this job because I have such a short period of tolerance when it comes to actual politicking. Alas.

In other news:
Books Completed - Les Liaisons Dangereuses by Pierre Choderlos de Laclos. As usual, I wish I were attending Carrie's class while reading this one...so much to discuss!
Books started: White Teeth by Zadie Smith (much overdue, the hardback has been sitting on my shelf for years)
Books contemplating taking home for break: Zodiac by Neal Stephenson (because it's good to include one book you can finish in an afternoon), A Compact History of Everything by David Foster Wallace, and "The Sex Side of Life" Mary Ware Dennett's Pioneering Battle for Birth Control and Sex Education by Constance M. Chen; the last two because I can't decide if I'll be in more of a math geek or public health/feminist geek mindset over break...in reality I know it will be no small feat just to get through half of White Teeth...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home