Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Lots of people are calling out the McCain campaign on their use of choice language regarding Palin's grandkid. Frankly, what offends me more is the language of privacy:

"We ask the media, respect our daughter and Levi's privacy..." (from the NYTimes)

"The final decision would be made by Meghan with our advice and counsel," McCain said, referring to himself and his wife, Cindy. When reporters suggested that this view made him, in fact, pro-choice, McCain became irritated. "I don't think it is the pro-choice position to say that my daughter and my wife and I will discuss something that is a family matter that we have to decide." (a quote from the 2000 primary, via feministing)

So, wait, for you and people related to you it's a private, family decision but the rest of those stupid women throughout the country need your legislative help because they can't possibly decide what's best for them and their family? And forget privacy, we need to crack open those medical records to make sure they aren't making the wrong decision?!

I seriously wish some journalist would do his/her job and ask about this. Here, I'll even help you out:

Senator McCain - Why do you believe that your vice presidential candidate and, hypothetically, your own daughter, are entitled to privacy and personal decision making when it comes to bringing people into this world, yet you seek to deny this same right to millions of Americans?

It's Tuesday morning and I'm cranky.

4 Comments:

Blogger Katey said...

WHY has no one asked him this straight up? Honestly, how can this be?

Makes me want to tear my hair out. Or his, which might be more satisfying. But I suppose violence is not the answer. *sigh*

7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Classic social conservative double standard about their own versus everyone else. My pregnant daughter made a mistake and needs our love and support, your pregnant daughter is a slut who needs to be shamed and has to tough it out on her own.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

No hypocrisy to me: the McCain family will discuss this issue privately and make a decision which will be respected and unquestioned .... he will do the same for your daughter when the occasion arises.

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooooh!!!! / shame shame.


(good post)

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home