Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Books Completed:
Reading Lolita in Tehran, by Azar Nafisi - not the best written book ever, but enjoyable from both a literature-class-esque perspective as well as an international-studies-sort of point of view. Doesn't provide a very solid overview of the past 25 years in Iran, but offers enough anecdotes to make me want to learn more.
Diary, a Novel, by Chuck Palahniuk - enough quirky plot bits to be interesting (like the disappearing rooms, sheet rock and wall-papered over by one of the main characters, so that people call and ask, um...I'm pretty sure I used to have a laundry room? yes, I'm certain it used to be here in this hallway...) but the last page is too gimmicky to be forgiven. spare yourself and just don't read the last page.

Books started:
Rules for Radicals, by Saul Alinsky - awesome, and particularly well-timed for me personally. Coupled with the conference (which, I swear, I'll get to posting about as soon as I've gathered my thoughts more coherently) sparked a very interesting conversation with Carrie that I will also try to summarize at a later date (teaser - the crux of the discussion was the balance between self-flagellation among liberals/activists for not doing enough and smug self-congratulatoriness for doing anything at all).

Books purchased:
Dangerous Liaisons, by Choderlos De Laclos (Carrie's influence)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home