Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Monday, January 02, 2006

I have tried to articulate in the past how I feel wandering around the monuments in DC (particularly the Lincoln), and I think Tim comes close to how I feel in his post about Independence Hall in Philly. But it's his commenter with whom I agree the most:

I continue to wish that Our Prexy had used his substantial single-mindedness, political capital, and all of that to push the “no fear” meme. I used to think that FDR’s “nothing to fear but fear itself” was catchy, but it didn’t really mean anything in particular to me. For the last four years, I’ve seen most of our mistakes being driven by our fears…a fear that is disproportionate with the risks, as is often the case.

Being committed to living in an open society is the real macho.



Yes, of course, it's easier said than done. And I realized long ago that I hold ideals which are nearly impossible to put into practice. But why not aspire to them anyway?

5 Comments:

Blogger S2K said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:39 AM  
Blogger S2K said...

There is an old Korean saying... or was it my saying... that says if you aim your arrow at the top of the hill, your arrow will end up halfway up the hill. If you aim for the stars, your arrow will end up at the top of the hill. Though you may never accomplish what you had intended, you may accomplish more than anyone had expected... (It's late, I'm not thinking clearly. I hope that made sense.)

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speak no ill of FDR, anonymous commentator!

You know my love of quotes, and FDR is a hero of mine, so I defend him thusly:

"Let us never forget that government is ourselves and not an alien power over us. The ultimate rulers of our democracy are not a President and senators and congressmen and government officials, but the voters of this country."

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much it is whether we provide enough for those who have little."

"True individual freedom cannot exist without economic security and independence. People who are hungry and out of a job are the stuff of which dictatorships are made."

~S.

p.s. The Lincoln memorial is a favorite of mine, too. Easily the most stunning, visually... but its the Jefferson memorial that I think is best. I love, love, LOVE reading his quotations etched across the ceiling.

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Panel four is particularly appropo for a lot of today's debates:

"I am not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and constitutions, but laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths discovered and manners and opinions change, with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also to keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors."

~El Syd

4:18 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

FDR is definitely my guy too, I don't really think anon commentor was taking a serious dig at him. :-)

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home