Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Sunday, December 18, 2005

I've been wearing Dan's ring lately. For the past couple of days, I've had outfits and occasions that called for gold jewelry, and I have this ring he gave me, and a gold chain, so voila - I traded in my usual silver tree of life* for a gold necklace. It's weird. Wearing it as just another piece of jewelry...when...well, when in all probability it would have been his wedding ring.

*I'm not sure I've ever told the story, or how many people notice that I always wear this necklace (on the rare occasions when different jewelry is called for, I still always have it on me, in a pocket or my purse). Jennings and I may have known each other forever, but there was a distinct time, at least in my mind, when we became particularly important to each other. We were in college, had been growing closer...and were both going through a rough time. A friend of his had 'woken up dead' (as he put it at the time) and I had recently broken up with Dan...and we were there for each other. Several months later he gave me the necklace, both as a birthday present and as a way of saying thank you. I consider it one more thing - a reminder to be there for people, and to let them be there for me. I'm not very good at the latter, but the tangible daily reminder helps a bit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home