Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

UnFuckingBelievable

Then again, with the way things are these days, I should probably just name the whole damn blog that.

New federal guidelines ask all females capable of conceiving a baby to treat themselves -- and to be treated by the health care system -- as pre-pregnant, regardless of whether they plan to get pregnant anytime soon.

Now, before anyone jumps down my throat, yes, in general, these guidelines are a good idea (things like not smoking, controlling diabetes and asthma, taking vitamins) but is it really too much to ask to be treated as a sentient human being worth healthcare outside of my ability to serve as a potential vessel for a baby?? For fucks sake, why must everything, everything, come down to my uterus? Seriously, they're suggesting that every single woman between her first menstruation and menopause behave as if at any moment she might conceive a child! I know I'm being irrational at the moment, but I'm so pissed right now that despite my long held desire to have kids one day a small voice in my head is seriously tempted not to simply as a socio-political statement.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In all fairness, it's just so *easy* to get a girl pregnant. Why, I once accidentally touched a girl on the knee during the CWRU Sci-Fi marathon and we were both terrified she was pregnant until God's curse on Eve caused her to bleed two weeks later...

Heh.

~S.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Oh Dear, I had completely forgotten about the knee touching incident(s)! Thanks for making me giggle!

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home