Gymno

succumbing to peer pressure

Thursday, April 03, 2008

Where have you been all my life?

Czech is my favorite person of the day. (well, ok, maybe second to Lydia, who helped me debug Latex code this morning. Hooray!) (copied in completion, because you really should read the whole thing):

I was walking through UK's campus today and ran upon a little demonstration in front of the classroom building. There were about 20 huge pictures of bloody fetuses, along with "Stop the Genocide" signs.

If you know me well, you know... well.... I can't resist.

I decided to go up to the young female students who were passing out their "genocide leaflets" to the students walking by and chat.

I asked each one if they wanted to overturn Roe vs. Wade and make abortion illegal. They all said yes, of course. I asked them if abortion was murder. They all said yes, of course.

I then asked each of them, once this is made illegal, what the preferred prison sentence should be for a woman that has an abortion.

The first girl I talked to seemed bewildered by the question. She literally had never thought about that before. She was willing to stand in front of these horrible pictures and accuse people of murder and genocide, yet she had never even thought what type of penalties women would get if this was made illegal. She looked like a deer caught in the headlights, so I let her go to ponder just what in the hell she's doing out here.

Another girl seemed a bit taken aback, but then went into the "well, it's not the women who should be punished, it's the doctor who performs it" line.

"So wait a second, if someone hires a hitman to kill someone, they're charged for murder, right? Then why wouldn't the woman who hires the person to perform the abortion guilty of murder".

Silence. "Well... maybe. I don't know."

"Well, you're out here calling people murderers and accusing them of genocide. What do you mean you don't know?"

"Ummmm..."

One of the girls who was listening in came to her defense. "Well if abortion is made illegal, yes, that should be a crime."

"So, what, 20 years in jail? 40 years in jail? What should a woman have?"

"Well, I don't really know if jail is necessary..."

"So... abortion is kinda like jaywalking?"

"Oh no!"

"So, it's murder?"

"Oh, yes!"

"And you don't think that people should go to jail for murder?"

"Well, yea, I guess they should"

"For how long? 20 years? 40 years?"

"Well, I guess if the jury felt they should"

"What about capital punishment?"

"What?"

"If a jury felt that she should be put to death for having an abortion?"

"Well... I.... suppose"

"So, you're not really pro-life, more pro-fetus?"

(Silence...)

"OK, well just think about that. Have a nice day."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's awesome, but Czech is lucky that none of the girls had thought of this before. I know many rabid pro-lifers who would have no qualms about prosecuting woman who have had abortions.
-A

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to link this like everywhere. Just because it made me laugh so hard I almost shot coffee out my nose. It's even marginally hot coffee!

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home